We use medical devices almost every day at home or in a doctor’s office, hospital, or another medical facility. When they work correctly, medical devices provide life-saving treatment. However, defective medical devices can cause severe injuries and wrongful deaths.
The Baltimore medical device liability lawyers of William G. Kolodner Personal Injury Lawyers have over a century of combined legal experience handling injury claims. Our three generations of attorneys have helped clients recover millions of dollars in jury verdicts and settlements.
Contact our law office in Baltimore, MD at (410) 837-2144, to schedule a free consultation. Your consultation is confidential and protected by the attorney-client relationship. Get the legal advice you need to protect your best interests after a defective medical device injury.
Table of Contents
How Our Baltimore Product Liability Lawyers Can Help You With a Defective Product Claim
Medical devices are supposed to treat chronic ailments and health conditions. However, some medical devices cause those conditions to worsen — or even create new adverse health conditions. In these cases, patients/consumers can file a claim seeking compensation for damages.
If this describes you, our Baltimore product liability lawyer can help you recover the money you deserve for your medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering. Cases involving defective medical devices could result in claims under medical malpractice laws, product liability laws, and personal injury laws.
When you hire William G. Kolodner Personal Injury Lawyers to handle your case, you can expect us to:
- Analyze your case to determine the correct legal remedies and causes of action based on the circumstances
- Launch an investigation to determine how the medical device caused your injury
- Identify the pharmaceutical companies, medical device manufacturers, and other parties responsible for your injuries and damages
- Work with experts to document your injuries and damages
- File insurance claims and monitor the statute of limitations for filing lawsuits
- Provide honest answers to your questions and concerns
- Guide you through each step in the claims process
- Negotiate for maximum compensation for damages
- Argue your case in court, if the other parties refuse to settle the case for a fair amount
If you or a family member were injured because of a defective medical device or suffered adverse side effects, we want to help. Call now to schedule a free case review with an experienced product liability lawyer in Baltimore, MD.
What is a Medical Device?
A medical device is any machine, tool, apparatus, instrument, or similar item used to diagnose or treat a medical condition, illness, or disease.
Examples of common medical devices include:
- Hip and knee joint replacements
- CPAP machines
- Hernia mesh
- IVC blood clot filters
- Breast implants
- Clamps, plates, screws, sponges, and staples used during surgery
- Blood pressure cuffs
The list of medical devices could go on for hundreds of pages. Any device that is used outside or inside of a person’s body for medical purposes is likely to fall under the definition of a medical device. Medical devices may be used at home or in a doctor’s office, lab, hospital, or another medical facility.
Medical Device Liability for Defective and Dangerous Products
Several parties could be held strictly liable for injuries and damages caused by medical devices. Parties that could be legally liable for damages include, but might not be limited to:
- Medical device designers
- Testing facilities
- Medical device distributors and sellers
- Physicians, labs, and other medical facilities
The parties liable for damages depend on the type of medical device defect and the facts of the case. common causes of action for medical device liability include:
- Design defects that result in inherently dangerous products
- Manufacturing defects caused by errors or problems during the manufacturing process
- Marking defects, such as deceptive, misleading, and fraudulent marketing
- Failing to warn consumers of the potential hazards and risks of using a medical device or failing to provide adequate instructions for use
In some cases, a company may intentionally conceal testing data and research that reveals a medical device is dangerous or defective. In addition, a company may fail to conduct adequate testing to ensure a medical device is safe to use before marketing the device to the public.
Damages Available for a Medical Device Liability Claim
There are several types of damages that you might be entitled to if a medical device causes you injury or harm.
Examples of damages you could recover for a medical device liability claim include:
- Past and future medical bills and expenses
- Loss of income and benefits
- Disfigurement, impairment, and disability
- Loss of enjoyment of life or quality of life
- Mental, emotional, and physical pain and suffering
- Future lost wages and decreased earning potential
- Cost of personal care and long-term nursing care
The value of your injury claim depends on several factors, including your injuries, monetary losses, and insurance coverage. Our legal team at William G. Kolodner Personal Injury Lawyers works diligently to document your damages to get you the money you deserve.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Baltimore Medical Device Liability Lawyers
When medical devices cause injuries, the liable parties should compensate the victims for damages. Our Baltimore personal injury attorneys aggressively pursue all legal avenues to get you the money you deserve. Contact our law office for more information and a free consultation.
Our personal injury law firm in Baltimore, MD also offers:
- Car Accident Lawyers in Baltimore, MD
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Baltimore, MD
- Baltimore, MD Dog Bite Lawyers
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Baltimore, MD
- Baltimore, MD Aviation Accident Attorneys
- Baltimore, MD Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- Maritime Accident Lawyers in Baltimore, MD
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Baltimore, MD
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in Baltimore, MD