Were you injured in a pedestrian accident in Dundalk, MD? Contact WGK Personal Injury Lawyers to discuss your legal options during a free consultation.Were you hit by a negligent driver while walking in Dundalk, Maryland? If so, you may be able to pursue compensation for the physical and emotional injuries you’ve sustained. An attorney at WGK Personal Injury Lawyers can help.
Our Dundalk pedestrian accident lawyers will ensure that you receive the outcome you deserve. Our experienced team of legal advocates has over 80 years of combined experience. We opened our doors in 1977 – meaning we’ve had decades to build strong relationships with medical professionals and other experts that can strengthen your claim.
Call our law office today at (410) 837-2144 or contact us online to schedule a free, no-obligation case assessment. We’ll discuss your pedestrian accident in Dundalk and your legal options for a full and fair financial recovery.
Table of Contents
How Can a Personal Injury Lawyer Help After a Pedestrian Accident in Dundalk, MD?
A pedestrian accident can cause life-altering injuries that require extensive medical treatment. While bills pile up, you may be unable to keep up due to missing time from work. And unfortunately, insurance companies and at-fault parties won’t be quick to give you the compensation you’re entitled to, even if you have a strong case.
That’s where having an experienced Dundalk personal injury lawyer can help. An attorney from WGK Personal Injury Lawyers will stand up to opposing parties and negotiate for a full settlement. We won’t allow parties to take advantage of you or pay you less than you deserve.
If you hire our Dundalk personal injury attorneys after a pedestrian accident, we’ll help by:
- Investigating the incident to identify every party who may be liable for your damages
- Collecting the evidence needed to prove liability and the value of your claim
- Negotiating with insurance adjusters, defense attorneys, and others on your behalf
- Protecting you from allegations that you were partially to blame for the pedestrian accident
- Litigating your case in Baltimore County court if we fail to reach a fair settlement
Before signing a settlement agreement, speak with one of our experienced accident lawyers in Dundalk, MD. We’ll advise whether it’s a fair deal and explain your legal rights. Contact our law firm today for a free consultation – we’re available 24/7 to take your call.
How Common Are Pedestrian Accidents in Baltimore County, MD?
According to the Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT), 2,548 accidents involving pedestrians occurred in Maryland in 2021.
Out of those pedestrian accidents:
- 125 were fatal (killing 127 people)
- 2,185 caused injuries (injuring 2,514 people)
That means nearly 91% of all pedestrian accidents resulted in at least an injury or death.
Out of the 2,548 statewide pedestrian accidents in 2021, 382 occurred in Baltimore County. That’s about 15% of the state’s total pedestrian accidents.
What Causes Pedestrian Accidents in Dundalk, MD?
Many accidents are caused by a pedestrian acting unlawfully, such as not using a designated crosswalk or walking when they don’t have the right-of-way (“jaywalking”).
However, other car accidents involving pedestrians are typically caused by driver negligence, such as:
- Driver distraction, such as eating, texting, or talking to passengers
- Failing to yield to pedestrians
- Running stop signs and traffic lights
- Aggressive or reckless driving
- Unsafe or illegal turns
- Drunk driving
Other accidents may be caused by a lack of dedicated infrastructure for pedestrians. For example, if there isn’t a crosswalk or sidewalk, people may be forced to walk in unsafe areas.
What Is the Value of My Dundalk Pedestrian Accident Case?
The value of a pedestrian accident case varies from person to person. All victims are unique; they can suffer different injuries depending on age, health, and other factors.
Accordingly, each Dundalk personal injury case must be evaluated based on the specific facts and circumstances, such as:
- The severity of the injuries sustained and whether any permanent impairment or disability resulted
- The medical bills and other costs incurred due to the incident
- The level of pain, suffering, and psychological trauma endured by the victim
- The victim’s lost wages, if they were unable to work during their recovery
- Whether the victim’s earning capacity is reduced due to their injuries
- The parties and insurance coverage involved
- Whether the victim contributed in any way to the incident
Typically, the more severe your pedestrian accident injuries, the higher value your case will be. However, our personal injury lawyers in Dundalk must investigate the totality of your situation to assess what your case is worth.
What Compensation Can I Pursue After a Pedestrian Accident in Maryland?
Pedestrian accident victims in Maryland can pursue compensation for their economic and non-economic losses.
Economic damages represent the monetary expenses incurred due to your pedestrian accident, such as:
- Medical costs, including ambulance bills, ER visits, surgery, treatment, etc.
- Future medical expenses, including rehabilitation, physical therapy, occupational therapy, etc.
- Out-of-pocket expenses, including childcare, household services, in-home nursing care, travel, etc.
- Property damage, if anything was damaged when you were hit by the vehicle
- Lost wages and reduced earning potential
Non-economic damages are more difficult to quantify, as they don’t have a receipt or bill attached; they may include:
- Diminished quality of life
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Emotional trauma, like PTSD and anxiety
Our Dundalk pedestrian accident attorneys will help you identify and assess your losses.
Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries
When a pedestrian is struck by a multi-thousand-pound vehicle, the consequences can be devastating, resulting in catastrophic injuries. Many people may require a lifetime of treatment and rehab.
Our pedestrian accident lawyers in Dundalk have helped people who have suffered:
- Fractures and broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
- Loss of body parts and amputations
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Chest injuries
- Injuries to the face, including eye injuries
- Back injuries
- Internal organ injuries
- Paralysis and spinal cord damage
- Nerve damage
- Knee injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Psychological injuries, like PTSD and phobia
We understand the physical and emotional toll a pedestrian accident can cause. That’s why we’ll fight for every penny you deserve if you retain our legal services.
How Do I Prove My Dundalk Pedestrian Accident Case?
Most pedestrian accidents occur due to negligent actions.
In a pedestrian accident case, the victim (plaintiff) has the burden of proving the four elements of negligence:
- The defendant owed the plaintiff a duty of care – drivers and others sharing Maryland roadways owe others a duty to act reasonably to avoid harming others
- The defendant breached their duty of care by failing to act reasonably and cautiously – such as by speeding or running a red light
- The defendant’s carelessness directly led to the pedestrian accident (causation)
- As a result of the defendant’s actions, the plaintiff sustained damages
How do you prove these elements? You’ll need evidence, such as:
- The accident report or police report
- Traffic camera footage
- Surveillance footage, photos, and videos
- Medical records
- Employment records
- Eyewitness and expert witness testimony
- Physical evidence
We’ll help you identify and gather every piece of evidence needed to prove your Dundalk pedestrian accident claim.
Can I Recover Compensation If I’m Partially To Blame for My Pedestrian Accident in Dundalk, MD?
Unfortunately, Maryland is one of a few states that implement a pure contributory negligence rule. Under this harsh standard, even if you only shared 1% of the blame for your pedestrian accident, you cannot collect compensation from any other party.
That’s why it’s crucial to call an attorney if you’re being blamed for your Dundalk accident.
Insurance companies use contributory fault to their advantage to unfairly deny claims. Don’t let them get away with it. An attorney will fight back and force them to provide evidence of your partial negligence, which they often don’t have. We’ll protect you from unsubstantiated claims that you share fault for your pedestrian accident.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire a Lawyer After a Pedestrian Accident in Dundalk, MD?
Most personal injury lawyers in Baltimore County work on a contingency fee basis. You won’t owe any upfront costs to retain an attorney, and you’ll only owe attorney’s fees if your case outcome is successful. The percentage is typically between 33-40% but may be lower or higher depending on the case.
How Long Do I Have To File a Pedestrian Accident Lawsuit in Maryland?
Maryland typically gives you three years after a pedestrian accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. If the pedestrian accident was fatal, you’ll have three years from the victim’s date of death to file a wrongful death claim.
There could be exceptions, and it can take time to build your case. If you miss the statutory deadline, you’ll be unable to pursue legal action against the at-fault party. Call our pedestrian accident attorneys in Dundalk to discuss your case and preserve your rights.
Schedule a Free Case Assessment With Our Dundalk Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
If you were hit by a car while walking in Dundalk, MD, you may have legal options for securing compensation. The best way to determine whether you have a valid case is to hire an experienced attorney.
Contact WGK Personal Injury Lawyers today for a free initial consultation. An experienced Dundalk pedestrian accident lawyer will talk to you to determine what happened and explain your rights.