Being the victim of a car accident is a horrendous experience. The fear, physical injuries, financial woes, and emotional trauma can cause lingering pain and suffering. Worse is the realization that your passenger’s negligence may be responsible for your accident and injuries. At William G. Kolodner, P.A., our Baltimore passenger negligence lawyers understand the emotional distress that victims experience during these confusing circumstances.
Oftentimes, the client has a relationship with the passenger and is torn as to whether to hold them liable for the damages.
Regardless of your relationship with the passenger, if you were injured in an automobile accident due to the actions of your passenger, they are responsible for your injuries.
William G. Kolodner is a highly experienced Baltimore car accident lawyer and is ready to fight for you to get you the compensation you deserve, contact our Baltimore office to get a free initial consultation, give us a call at (410) 837-2144 to learn more.
Why Do I Need a Baltimore Personal Injury Lawyer if My Passenger Was Negligent?
Circumstances involving the misconduct of the passenger in your vehicle can be complicated. Proving that in fact the passenger was responsible for the accident requires an experienced attorney who specializes in passenger negligence cases. Let our Baltimore personal injury attorneys handle all the details of your case, including:
- Handling all communication with your passenger and the insurance company.
- Thoroughly investigating and gathering all evidence pertaining to your case, including accident reports, testimonies, and medical documents.
- Working with medical professionals, insurance company agents, and automotive specialists to determine damages.
- Protecting you from the harsh consequences of Maryland’s pure contributory negligence system, which could leave you with no money for your injuries.
After an accident, you deserve time to rest and heal from your injuries. Rest assured that your case is in good hands with us. Our Baltimore law firm will work diligently to get you the settlement to which you are entitled. Call us to schedule a free consultation.
How to Establish Negligence in You Car Accident Case
In order to prove negligence on behalf of your passenger, there are several factors that must be proven:
- Duty: The passenger’s duty to act in a responsible manner.
- Breach: The passenger fails to comply with appropriate behavior.
- Cause: The passenger’s conduct is the cause of the accident.
- Injury: The victim suffered injuries as a result of the passenger’s conduct.
These factors will need to be proven in the courtroom in order to ensure you receive compensation for your physical and emotional injuries.
Can Vehicle Passengers Be Responsible for a Car Accident?
Yes. It is certainly possible for your passenger to be responsible for your car accident. Any misconduct by the passenger that led to a collision could potentially render them liable for the incident.
Examples of Passenger Negligence
The following scenarios demonstrate passenger negligence. Any action that distracts the driver or compromises the safety of individuals in the vehicle could potentially constitute passenger negligence.
- Verbal conflicts between passenger and driver that distracts the driver and leads to the driver running a stop sign at an intersection, resulting in a collision.
- Passenger causes an accident by grabbing the wheel and swerving, while the driver is unable to regain control of the car.
- Driver is unable to see the road because passenger covers driver’s eyes or otherwise obstructs the driver’s vision.
- Passenger distracts driver by drawing driver’s attention to something on the side of the road or in the passenger’s hand (phone, book, map, etc…).
Depending on the circumstances and the unreasonable nature of the passenger’s action, these situations could be considered negligent behavior on the part of the passenger.
You Need a Lawyer to Help You Deflect Allegations of Fault
The state of Maryland follows what is known as “contributory negligence” law. This is a very harsh legal approach to determining liability. Essentially, if you contributed to the accident and your resulting injuries, you are barred from recovering damages.
What happens if you’re involved in an accident with another vehicle because of something your passenger does? You’re going to be the one who is blamed right off the bat. This means that you’ll not only forfeit the right to obtain monetary compensation for your injuries, but that you’ll also probably be on the hook for other victims’ damages.
You will absolutely have to stand up and fight to protect yourself. You’ll have to show that your passenger – and not you – caused the accident. That’s the only way you can preserve your legal rights and recover compensation.
This is why you need an experienced and highly regarded attorney like William G. Kolodner, P.A., in your corner. We’ll conduct a thorough investigation to gather evidence to help prove that you aren’t responsible for the crash.
Injured Because of Passenger Negligence? William G. Kolodner, P.A., Can Help
If you have been injured due to passenger negligence, contact the Baltimore car accident lawyers at William G. Kolodner, P.A., for a free initial consultation.
We are a respected personal injury law firm in Baltimore and we know how to handle car accident cases involving passenger negligence. Our attorneys also know how to deal with difficult insurance companies and opposing counsel. We will do everything we can to secure you a deal. If the offer is unfair, our personal injury lawyers are ready to take your case to court and represent you at trial.
We understand the pain and frustration you are going through, and we will work diligently to get you the compensation that you deserve. Let us give you the peace of mind and healing time you need to get your life back on track. Contact our Baltimore personal injury law firm to speak with a Baltimore passenger negligence lawyer today.