Baltimore Car Accident Statistics

In 1891, a gasoline-powered buggy carrying James Lambert and James Swoveland hit a tree root and crashed into a hitching post, causing minor injuries to both men. This incident is widely believed to be the first car accident in the United States. Unfortunately, it would not be the last.

So, how many automobile crashes happen in the state of Maryland each year in the 21st century? And how does the Old Line State’s road safety record stack up against the rest of the nation? For the answers to these questions and more, one must review the following car accident statistics, as published by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):

How Many Car Accidents Occur in Maryland Every Year?

In 2016, the most recent year for which records are available, there were 120,120 car crashes in the state of Maryland.

This figure represents a sizable increase over the previous four years:

  • 2015: 107,789 total crashes
  • 2014: 97,751 total crashes
  • 2013: 92,605 total crashes
  • 2012: 90,520 total crashes

How Many Maryland Car Crashes Result in Property Damage Every Year?

Of the 120,120 motor vehicle accidents that occurred in Maryland in 2016, 84,955 of them resulted in property damage. Again, this number represents a significant jump from the preceding four years:

  • 2015: 76,654 property-damage accidents
  • 2014: 67,165 property-damage accidents
  • 2013: 62,937 property-damage accidents
  • 2012: 59,542 property-damage accidents

How Many People Are Injured on Streets and Highways in Maryland Every Year?

Of the 120,120 traffic collisions that happened in Maryland in 2016, 34,682 resulted in at least one injury. The figures for the previous four years are as follows:

  • 2015: 30,655 injury-causing accidents
  • 2014: 30,369 injury-causing accidents
  • 2013: 29,236 injury-causing accidents
  • 2012: 30,516 injury-causing accidents

Altogether, 50,864 people were injured in car crashes in Maryland in 2016 – a number that does not compare favorably to the years that came before it:

  • 2015: 44,816 total injuries
  • 2014: 44,158 total injuries
  • 2013: 42,757 total injuries
  • 2012: 44,398 total injuries

How Many People Die in Car Crashes in the State of Maryland Every Year?

In 2016, there were 483 fatal crashes in Maryland. For comparison, the figures for the four preceding years were:

  • 2015: 480 fatal accidents
  • 2014: 417 fatal accidents
  • 2013: 432 fatal accidents
  • 2012: 462 fatal accidents

In total, there were 522 traffic fatalities in the state of Maryland in 2016 – a figure that is higher than it was in any of the previous four years:

  • 2015: 521 total traffic fatalities
  • 2014: 443 total traffic fatalities
  • 2013: 466 total traffic fatalities
  • 2012: 511 total traffic fatalities

How Many Pedestrians Are Killed and Injured in Car Accidents in Maryland Every Year?

From 2012 to 2016, an average of 102 pedestrians were killed in the state of Maryland each year. The figure is slightly lower than the 108 pedestrian deaths per year reported between 2007 and 2011.

Between 2012 and 2016, an average of 357 pedestrians sustained serious injuries on Maryland roads every year. From 2007 to 2011, this figure sat at 412.

How Many Cyclists Are Killed and Injured in Car Accidents in Maryland Every Year?

During the period beginning in 2012 and ending in 2016, the state of Maryland saw an average of 9 cyclists deaths per year. From 2007 to 2011, the mean number of annual bicycle fatalities was 7.

From 2012 to 2016, an average of 61 cyclists suffered a serious injury each year in Maryland. This figure is a significant reduction from the 2007 to 2011 mean, which sat at 74 serious injuries per year.

Where Do Maryland Car Accident Fatalities Typically Occur?

Between 2012 and 2016, there were a total of 489 traffic fatalities in the state of Maryland. Of those deaths, 145 (29.7 percent) happened on rural roads. The other 337 (70.3 percent) occurred in urban areas like Baltimore City.

In comparison, the period starting in 2007 and ending in 2011 saw 547 total fatalities on streets and highways throughout Maryland. 204 (37.3 percent) of those deaths occurred in rural locations. The remaining 343 (62.7 percent) happened in more urbanized areas.

How Does Seat Belt Usage Contribute to Maryland’s Traffic Safety Record?

According to the experts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), wearing a seat belt can reduce a person’s risk of serious injury or death in an auto accident by about half. They also estimate that seat belts saved almost 15,000 lives in the United States in 2016.

Despite these facts, significant numbers of drivers and passengers in the state of Maryland regularly refrain from wearing these safety devices.

From 2012 to 2016, an average of 107 unrestrained motorists died in Maryland every year. Between 2007 and 2011, this figure sat at 137.

The period from 2012 to 2016 also saw a mean of 294 unrestrained motorists sustain serious injuries on an annual basis. Between 2007 and 2011, the state of Maryland reported an average of 396 serious injuries to unrestrained drivers and passengers.

Is Drunk/Drugged Driving a Problem in the State of Maryland?

In Maryland, drugged and drunk driving is a significant issue, particularly in Anne Arundel County and Baltimore County. This fact is clearly evidenced by the following statistics:

Between 2012 and 2016, accidents involving drugs or alcohol accounted for an average of 156 fatalities per year in Maryland. For the period from 2007 to 2011, this number stood at 185.

From 2012 to 2016, there was an average of 424 drunk and drugged driving-related serious injuries in Maryland each year. In comparison, impaired driving caused 644 serious injuries during the period beginning in 2007 and ending in 2011. 

Is Distracted Driving a Problem in the State of Maryland?

Maryland has a sizable problem with motorists texting, eating, applying makeup, or otherwise being distracted while driving through busy cities like Baltimore. The end result of this issue is statistics like these:

During the period from 2012 to 2016, distracted driving caused an average of 168 fatalities per year in the state of Maryland. Between 2007 and 2011, this figure was quite a bit higher, with 260 annual deaths being reported.

Distracted driving accounted for 1,518 serious injuries per year in Maryland between 2012 and 2016. From 2007 to 2011, this issue caused 2,826 serious injuries each year.

Is Speeding a Problem in the State of Maryland?

Like just about every other state, Maryland is in a constant battle to remind its residents to slow down. Unfortunately, not everybody listens. As a result, the Old Line State reports some alarming speeding accident statistics:

From 2012 to 2016, the state of Maryland reported an average of 95 speed-related deaths each year. Between 2007 and 2011, the state had 149 annual speed-related fatalities.

During the period from 2012 to 2016, Maryland also had an average of 463 speed-related serious injuries every year. From 2007 to 2011, this figure sat at 943.

How Does Maryland’s Traffic Safety Record Compare to That of Other States?

The state of Maryland has its fair share of traffic fatalities each year. But how does it’s record compare against the rest of the nation? Well, according to the researchers at the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS):

  • Maryland has the 12th lowest rate of traffic fatalities per capita in the United States
  • Maryland has the 7th lowest rate of traffic fatalities per mile traveled in the United States

What to Do if You Get into a Car Accident in Maryland

If you should become one of the tens of thousands of people who will get into a car crash in Maryland in the next 12 months, you may wish to follow these easy tips to protect both your health and your financial future:

Call an Ambulance (if Necessary)

As soon as the dust settles on your crash, check your body for signs of serious injury. If you believe you need immediate medical care, call 911 and ask them to dispatch an ambulance to your location as quickly as possible.

Call the Police

If your car accident injuries do not necessitate an immediate trip to the hospital, you should remain on the scene and contact the police. When they arrive, they will put together an accident report that you may be able to use as evidence in a personal injury lawsuit.

Compile Evidence of the Accident

Once you have finished interacting with the police, you can then begin compiling your own collection of evidence. In general, this means taking plenty of pictures and videos of the crash scene as well as taking down the contact information of any witnesses.

Hire a Skilled Personal Injury Lawyer

When you have finished collecting evidence, you should then reach out to an attorney that specializes in personal injury cases. Once retained, your Baltimore car accident lawyer will assist you by:

  • Communicating with insurers on your behalf
  • Providing you with an overview of the legal process
  • Representing you in court

Questions About Baltimore Car Accident Statistics? Call Our Law Firm Today

If you would like to learn more about car accidents in Baltimore or you have been involved in one yourself, please contact our Baltimore law firm, William G. Kolodner PA, and set up a free consultation, give us a call at (410) 837-2144 and speak with a member of our experienced legal team. We will be more than happy to provide you with the legal advice, guidance, or information you require.